How to know if you’re getting sick from mold in your home

Aug 3, 2022 | Mold Removal

According to the WHO, dampness is present in 20 to 50 percent of homes in the United States. Without sufficient ventilation, insulation, or heating in residential buildings, mold growth is high, which negatively impacts health.

Many people in the United States have mold allergies or get sick from mold in their homes. However, most individuals find it difficult to know the cause of their illness. Keep reading to learn how to know if you’re getting ill from mold in your home.

Getting sick from mold exposure

The presence of mold in your home doesn’t always cause sickness, but there are certain health risks. Inhaling or touching mold spores can cause symptoms of allergies, including:

Eye irritation

When the eye gets exposed to mold spores, they become itchy, red, and watery. Most of those symptoms also signify allergic conjunctivitis. There are two major types of allergic conjunctivitis, which are acute and chronic. In most cases, applying a cold or warm compress several times a day and cleaning the eyelids may help.


Mold in your home can trigger coughing and other asthma symptoms. Most people may experience scratchy throat, which prompts a nagging cough. In severe cases, the nagging cough may lead to more severe and heavier coughing. People with these symptoms may also have histamine and mucus production that causes persistent coughing.

Skin rash

The immune system may overreact when a person breathes in mold spores. In return, that reaction causes the production of antibodies, inflammation, and skin rash. Since mold-associated rash may appear like other rashes, it’s imperative to look out for certain signs. These include skin discoloration, itching, and sensitivity.

Lung irritation

In the home, mold can be a lung irritant, causing negative effects like shortness of breath. The most common types of molds causing lung irritation include Aspergillus, Mucormycetes, and Hyalohyphomycetes. These airborne mold particles may cause an allergic reaction called allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (ABPA).

Sore throat

Mycotoxins are chemicals from mold spores that trigger an immune system response, which causes inflamed sinuses and sore throats. Inflamed sinuses can cause severe discomfort and throat pain. Due to the inflammatory response and irritation of the nasal cavity, individuals may also experience post-nasal drip.


Wheezing is one of the various asthma symptoms that inhaling mold spores causes. Most individuals experience a shrill whistle or coarse rattle when the airway is half blocked due to mold. Since wheezing can cause more serious conditions, you must reach out to a doctor when you observe severe wheezing.

Runny nose and congestion

Household mold generally causes runny nose and congestion, among many other nasal allergies. Without early treatment, these allergies can last all year round.

Handling mold in your home

Mold growth outdoors can be difficult to handle, but it’s much easier to handle exposure to them in your home. 

Take steps to prevent mold from forming and clean up the existing ones. You can control mold formation better once you can control the moisture levels in the home. Use an air conditioner, and check for any water leak that can promote an increase in amounts of mold and humidity levels in the home.

If you have problems with handling mold in your home, contact Quick 2 Dry for immediate help. Our mold remediation involves removing mold in your home by using approved chemicals that are safe for the household.

Managing sickness from mold

Once you observe signs of sickness due to mold, it’s imperative to get the mold out of your home by cleaning and maintaining moisture levels. Speak to a doctor if you observe any signs of sickness due to mold exposure.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *